Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Boot Camp, Session #1

One of my gifts from Bill this year was a month-long Boot Camp for both of us at King's Gym in Orange.  It's described on their website as, "Boot Camp Fitness is a results-driven conditioning program that runs 6 times weekly at 60 minute durations per session. It is conducted in an indoor/outdoor environment, utilizing the most progressive, innovative, and creative exercises in fitness.  Boot Camp Fitness workouts include, but are not limited to, cardiovascular, speed and endurance, partner resistance, and strength training!"

Bill and I arrived just before 6:30 at the Gym and were directed to a metal building across the street.  This turned out to be a bare-bones concrete floored 'shop' and folks, it was COLD.  I decided that 36 degrees was way better than 96, so I put on my game face and got ready for whatever our instructor had in store for us.

There were only three of us in the class, so it really felt like having a personal trainer.  The instructor explained to us what we'd be doing for the hour, what to do if we couldn't do an exercise and most of all told us not to hurt ourselves.  I was just hoping not to make a complete fool of myself by, oh I don't know, falling down, throwing up, passing out or all of the above.

We started with a 5 minute warm up, then got to the meat of the workout which was a series of four high-intensity plyometric exercises. We would do one exercise for 30 seconds, then rest by walking in place for 30 seconds, then the next exercise and so on for 10 minutes.  We then took a 2 minute break and then repeated the 10 minute process over again with a new set of plyometric exercises, broke for another 2 minutes and then started another 10 minute process, but this time focusing on abdominal exercises.  We finished with a 5 minute cool-down.

It was way too cold in there to sweat, but I was definitely breathing hard and some of the plyometrics were really difficult, such as the 'Prison Squat' (great name, right?) which is basically jumping jacks in a squat position and another where we stood on one foot and jumped front, back and side to side - that really challenges your balance.

All in all, I left feeling exhilarated (endorphins at their finest and maybe from the cold) and looking forward to Wednesday's session - we're assured that no two sessions are the same, so it will be an adventure.  And, thanks I think to the two ibuprofens I took before bed last night, I'm barely sore this morning.

Tonight is Patrick's first Varsity soccer game of the season, so whenever you're home and warm, snuggled up on your couch with the beverage of your choice, think of me and giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment